Fruits such as mangoes are a crucial addition to a healthy lifestyle. Whether your current path is weight loss, maintenance or just general healthy living, fruits are essential to your health journey. It is time to take a leaf from our ancestors who foraged and consumed naturally grown foods such as fruits. We will explore some health benefits of mangoes here. Mangoes are an excellent source of antioxidants, anti-inflammatory nutrients, vitamins, dietary fiber and beta carotene. These beneficial compounds found in mangoes are highly beneficial in regulating insulin, fighting cancer, providing better skin, sex, and eye health.
- ANTI-OXIDANTS IN MANGOES HELP FIGHT CANCER – Scientific research into mangoes shows that anti-oxidants in mangoes (mangiferin and mango polyphenols) reduce the risk of prostrate, colon, leukemia and breast cancers. The University of Florida’s Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences in 2001, issued a press release titled “Researchers say munch more mangoes to fight cancer”. Though Mangoes solely cannot cure cancers but they can help in reducing your risk of these cancers.
- IMPROVES FRESHNESS OF SKIN – Mangoes are noted in aiding in clearing clogged pores and eliminating pimples. Mangoes can be eaten or alternatively sliced and placed on the face for 10 – 15 minutes then wash. Alternatively, making a body scrub of mango, honey and milk can improve tenderness and smoothness of skin.
- AIDS DIABETES REGULATION– Mangoes and mango leaves help to regulate insulin levels. Boiling a couple of mango leaves, leaving overnight, filtering and drinking same helps diabetes regulation. The mango leaves provide a tonic that helps settles the stomach. Further, the low glycemic index (41-60) of mangoes ensures that indulgence in mangoes will not increase your sugar levels.
- NATURAL APHRODISIAC – Mangoes are a good aphrodisiac as they increase virility in men. The abundance of Vitamin E in mango boosts sex drive. It is also a great defense against sperm damage. Mangoes improve fertility for both men and women,
- EYE HEALTH – A cup of mangoes provide 25% of your daily recommended intake of Vitamin A. Mangoes are an excellent source of vitamin A and aid in preventing night blindness and improves good eye sight.
These benefits discussed are not exhaustive. Mangoes are great for weight loss. You can incorporate mangoes in your meals from eating them whole to toppings on salads or a component in smoothies and juices. Mangoes also can be reduced to jam as a spread on our sandwiches or a healthy snack on the go, mangoes must be a first class fruit of choice!
- Morayo Remi-John